Navigation
The History of Winchester House School
Winchester House School is a fully co-educational Nursery/Pre-Prep and prep day or boarding school on the Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire borders, for boys and girls aged 3 - 13.

Click here, or on the image below, to read about our history

Founded in 1875, the school moved to its present site in the market town of Brackley on the borders of Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire in 1922 and became co-educational in 1976.

The History of Winchester House School - The buildings:
  • The Egerton family had been Lords of the Manor of Brackley since the end of the 16th Century.
  • In the 18th Century, the Earls of Ellesmere were given Winchester House as a gift by King George III as a reward for building the world’s first ever canal near his coal mine in Lancashire.
  • It was rebuilt in 1870 for Francis Egerton, 3rd Earl of Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley as a large and comfortable mansion for use as a weekend retreat during the hunting season.
The History of Winchester House School - The School:
  • 1876 - Winchester House School started as a school in 1876 in St Leonards-on-Sea near Hastings. It was advertised as preparing boys for the public schools and the Royal Navy.
  • 1912 - It combined with Spondon House School from Derbyshire and became one school in 1912.
  • 1918 - During WW1 Winchester House School moved to its current site at Brackley to escape the coastal dangers of the First World War
  • 1977 – Day pupils were welcomed for the first time
  • 1976 – Pre-prep department started
  • 1976 – Winchester House School became co-educational
  • 1988 – New Pre-Prep building opened
  • 1989 – Winchester House School became co-educational with the opening of the girls’ boarding house at Drayton Cottage
  • 1994 – The Hippo was built
  • 1997 – Sports Hall was opened in honour of the former headmaster, Richard Speight
  • 2003 – Mark Seymour became headmaster (taking over from Mr Griffith)
  • 2005 – The Seligman and The Forum were built
  • 2013 – The new Nursery building was built and opened by the Mayor of Brackley
  • 2014 – New AstroTurf was built and officially opened by old-girl and England Hockey Player, Storm Sunderland